towns with German Background
- Augsburg, Karlstein, Mariental once existed in the region still known as “German Coast”, west of New Orleans.
- Des Allemands
- Gretna - located on the West Bank of the Mississippi River, Gretna was founded in 1836 by German immigrants. Many German families still live in Gretna today.
- Hahnville refers to Georg Michael Hahn (see German-American history)
- Jena was named for Jena in Illinois, which was named after the German/ Thuringian city of Jena
- Krotz Springs
- Oberlin was named after the Alsatian Philanthropist Johann Friedrich Oberlin
- Robert’s Cove (German Cove) in Acadia Parish
- Wisner was named for Edward Wisner from Michigan, who’s family had immigrated from the Alemannic Switzerland
This page is not completed yet!